100% attendance required
Become a certified Personal Trainer with the YMCA of Canada’s certification course. The course will require extensive instructional sessions, self guided assignments and a minimum of 20 hours of apprenticeship under the supervision of a certified fitness professional. Cost of this course includes materials, instruction, access to Y mentoring team, access to Y (non-members), all learning resources, tests, exams and final evaluation. Recertification is required every 2 years with 16 CEC’s, 50 hours of practice and current CPR/SFA. The scope of practice for a YMCA Personal Trainer is to prescribe exercise and give healthy living and eating advice to individuals in good health, or with stable chronic conditions, in the areas of general strength training and cardiovascular fitness.
- Classroom and online assignments successfully completed (approx. 45-50 hours)
- Demonstrate and Describe Exam with YMCA Educator
- Written Exam (80% to pass)
- Case Study (Peer Teach min 20 hours)
- Practical Exam with YMCA Educator
- Age 18+
- CPR C & Standard First Aid
- 50 hours of participation in strength training required
*Certification does not include work in therapy or assessment and correction of conditions or injuries; training sport specific athletes, bodybuilders, women who are pregnant and want to start an exercise plan or people with multiple chronic conditions or those newly diagnosed.